Thursday, May 22, 2014

7th Edition impending in 24 hours....

!?!?! 7th Edition!?

So tomorrow afternoon/evening many people will have hands on the new rule book. I know so far we have loads of confirmed rumors and even pictures of books from notable names such as Kirby over at 3++. But I will be holding most of my thoughts close to the chest until I have looked at the book with my own eyes (hopefully tomorrow afternoon).

However looking at what is confirmed so far...

It seems that psychic armies will be even more of the hotness, well at least those psychic armies with access to loads of psychic units and more than a few mastery level 3 units (Daemons and Eldar?). It sort of seems that we will have basically Eldar and Daemons taking psykers and few other races will bother as they will just see their powers constantly denied unless of course some mechanic for limiting the amount of dice you can use to deny powers comes into play. However given how many books are out there already and that NO ONE has said anything about something like that...I am assuming that there will just be "have" and "have nots" as far as powers go.

I am happy about how battle forged troops will get benefits to scoring (uncontestable accept by other troops or units with objective secured) but it will be nice that if all my troops are killed I can potentially score with my non troop choices as well. I also particularly like what I have read a few times about FMC's not being able to score while swooping (I am not sure if this was debunked or is confirmed it was just something I remember reading on the many sites I frequent). But I do personally think that FMC based armies needed a bit of a nerf as far as how easy it was to bully an opponent with 4-5 flying 300 point monsters. I think the power inherent in playing tons of them (loads of mastery level dice) and the addition of the daemonology tree (summoning....) should balance that out for those players so they wont feel their army got nerfed to death...it is more changing. Honestly I think it might be even more powerful than before it will just play differently. I expect Belakor will be making more appearances since invisibility is pretty boss now (consider putting it on an FMC who switches modes so it still can only be snap fired at accept....skyfire wont matter as far as shooting at that particular guy). But all of those kinds of wonky strategy will be quite risky assuming the psychic phase happens after moving...well you have to decide if you want to drop out of flight mode and risk failing that crucial psychic power.

I am expecting that my style lists (Eldar Seer Council and Eldar/Dark Eldar Beast Pack) will remain strong if not gain a bit of strength as the armies that I will now fear are an even smaller pool (just other equally psychic beefy armies). And things like O'Vesa Star are effectively dead (no joining FMC's with IC's should kill that list nicely, although Tau will still be strong, riptides are quite powerful even if they dont get loads of special rules).

I sure am glad I built/painted those Daemon prince's a few weeks ago...I forsee them getting alot of play time in the future.

Well thats all I have for now..but I expect I will be posting again in a few days once I have my book!

-Farseer Tsarith

3 comments:

  1. Oh good, more Daemons and Eldar, fewer everything else! How fun!

    Wanna play Malifaux? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. version 6.1, more of the same power lists. Have fun this isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno though, there could be some nasty combos in that whole ":the entire imperium is BB" blob of stuff. I skipped over it because I don't play imperial armies and I don't really have much of that stuff. But there could be some stupidly strong GK lists mixed with space wolves or dark angels etc etc. So of course stuff that is strong will stay strong but if everyone else gets amped up as well through some BB useage and/or the weakening of the Taudar overwhelming fire power...

    ReplyDelete