Friday, June 7, 2013

Dire Avenger Spam with a Wraith Knight!?!?

Hey guys,
I just thought I would toss up this twist on my dire avenger spam list.. I played it today against a very interesting 4 land raider dark angel/grey knight list and managed to squeak out a win although I really never considered how difficult it can be to take out 4 of those big old tanks. I won't be going into the details of the battle but I want to discuss a few aspects of the list.

I played:

 Autarch
 Dire avenger x10
 Wave serpent w/ scatter and cover.      
 Dire avenger x10
 Wave serpent w/ scatter and cover.      
 Dire avenger x10
 Wave serpent w/ scatter and cover.      
 Dire avenger x10
 Wave serpent w/ scatter and cover.      

 Swooping hawks x10.                     
 Swooping hawks x10.                     
 Crimson hunter.
 exarch                             
 Wraith Knight      

I thought perhaps the exarch upgrade would help me to get more use out of this flyer. I really think on paper it just looks amazing. I have yet to really have it perform for me though. I am considering dropping it either for a farseer HQ or possibly ditching it and changing a few dire avenger squads into guardians and putting in Asurmen. I really think he is amazing, great stat line, d3 warlord traits, S5/AP2 weapon, 2+/4++ eternal warrior! He might also provide an interesting punch type unit I can toss into a combat. Especially since most of my games the avengers and the serpents get most of the potential targets pretty soft, Asurmen may be able to provide that little punch that gets rid of what ever annoying unit is trying to encroach on my territory.

 The other option is of course a third unit of hawks but honestly I don't think more than 2 of those is really required. The 2 have worked amazing at encouraging my opponents to get with the times and stop using those silly 10 man cultist units to hold objectives. But I already have games where they run out of targets and I think a third one (although its funny) would be a waste in most games.

Now the Wraith Knight... I was pleasantly surprised with him in my game. My opponent had quite a bit of S6/S7/S8 in his list and honestly it took firing the majority of it at the wraith knight for 2 full turns to bring that sucker down. Between the toughness 8 and his ability as a monstrous creature to easily get area cover, he can take a lot of hits. I can't wait to try him out in my seer council list where most games I will have chances to renew some wounds back onto him. I found that although his over all damage output is not as high as I would like, the S10 guns are very good and the I5 gives him a decent chance to slaughter things before they can really start hitting him. Also his T8 really does make him fairly immune to infantry (most infantry rely on krak grenades to hurt MC's but due to the T8 even those need 6's). The biggest draw to me is that he is terrifying to behold and if you maneuver him properly he can soak up enough fire from your opponent to make him well worth the cost. On the off chance he makes it across the table (and avoids any force weapons over there) he can do some pretty serious damage to just about anything he runs into.

I should be getting another league game in next week so more battle reports to come! And of course we are only a week away from Killadelphia!! I have my "top secret" old codex Eldar army all ready to go for that (Yay for one last hurrah before I put the old book to rest on my bookshelf!).

-Tsarith

2 comments:

  1. ho

    and stuff.

    I've been thinking more about eldrad, not sure if he's worth it vs. just a jetseer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure yet. I can tell that in my 2 games I've used him he was actually very useful. The re-deploy is what made both opponents decide to take first turn, and the AP3 weapon was actually nice to have (it meant at least 2 guys died even if their armor saves were crazy awesome..which in my IFL games case...they were). Also having the extra warp charge meant I was able to actually cast all the powers I had. But yes the fact that he only moves 6 inches is irritating, but again like my IFL game I can always just leave him with the riptide late game so I can get across the table. Or combat hopping with Hit and Run helps with the speed issue as well.

    ReplyDelete