Thursday, June 6, 2013

IFL Road to the Nova Open Game 1!

Hey guys,

So I played my first game of the IFL Road to the Nova Open and as promised here is the battle report. My opponent was a great guy named Pierre who plays a very cool counts as space wolf army (it is done up very nicely in blood angel colors led with a mighty "wolf lord" who is actually on a dinosaur).

I was playing:
Eldrad           
Far seer WARLORD
 jet bike, runes of warding, runes of witnessing    
Warlock Council
 9x Warlocks
 9x, jetbikes, 3x singing spear.     
Wind Rider Jetbike x3         
Wind Rider Jetbike x3         
Wind Rider Jetbike x3          
Fire Prism                
Fire Prism           

Tau Allies
Commander
 2x Shield drone, 2x Fusion, Target Lock,
 Vectored Retro Thrusters, Puretide Chip, Iridium   
Riptide
 Ion Accel, Early Warning Override     
Kroot Squad
 w/ 1x kroot hound                
Kroot Squad
 w/ 1x kroot hound               
Sky Ray
 w/ TL Smart Missile System, Black sun Filter,
 sensor spine
He was playing:

HQ
Wolf Lord with a thunderwolf mount, power fist, storm shield, runic armor, and saga of the bear
Rune Priest with Jaws of the World Wolf, Living Lightning, and a chooser of the slain

Elites
Lone Wolf 1 with terminator armor, chainfist, and a storm shield
Lone Wolf 2 with terminator armor, chainfist, and a storm shield
Lone Wolf 3 with terminator armor, thunder hammer, and a storm shield

Troops
Grey Hunters 1 with 5 marines and a flamer
   [Razorback with Twin Linked Lascannons ]
Grey Hunters 2 with 5 marines and a flamer
   [Razorback with Twin Linked Lascannons ]
Grey Hunters 3 with 5 marines and a plasmagun
   [Razorback with Twin Linked Lascannons ]
Grey Hunters 4 with 10 marines and two meltaguns
   [Rhino ]
Grey Hunters 5 with 8 marines and a meltagun
   [Rhino ]

Heavy Support
Long Fangs with 5 marines and four missile launchers
   [Razorback with Twin Linked Lascannons
Long Fangs with 5 marines and four missile launchers
Long Fangs with 5 marines and four missile launchers

So we are playing the Nova Packet mission 2, which is the Crusade. It has primary 5 objectives spaced evenly around the board, with vanguard deployment, and we rolled and got night fight! I rolled up my powers and was awarded with:
Eldrad: fortune, doom, prescience, and scriers gaze
Farseer: prescience, perfect timing, and guide
Warlocks: 2x protect, 2x embolden, 2x enhance, 2x conceal, 1x destructor
Neither of us had warlord traits that mattered and Pierre won the roll to go first and chose to take first turn.

Pierre deployed to the hard left with the intention of using the center terrain to give him crazy cover and let his wolf lord and those 3 lone wolves get across the table to mess with me. I deployed VERY far back so as to avoid any problems with that pesky rune priest trying to block my powers.

Turn 1:

Pierre moves toward me with everything and shoots with most of his weaponry, he manages to wound the riptide once but little else happens.

My turn I cast all my powers with no problems and very passively move my council around in my backfield. I keep everything very far back almost on the table edge so I can get fortune up one more time. I do however string my warlocks up toward the middle so I can get that rune priest if his rhino over extends. I then proceed to use all of my shooting and wreck one rhino and kill a few guys. His rune priest rhino makes 3-4 cover saves and doesn't care about my shooting.

Turn 2:

Pierre rolls some very bad moving through covers and his lone wolves get stuck in the center ruin. His wolf lord hangs back and his rune priest rhino moves forward hoping to get in range to start blocking some farseer powers, but I measured correctly and my seers are about 31 inches away after he moves his full 12 (so looks like the council will be doing some magic for another turn!). He shoots and blows up a fire prism and puts another wound on the riptide.

My turn I cast all my powers, and aggressively rush the rune priest rhino. I shoot it with damn near everything and blow it up, and then charge the squad of grey hunters with my seer council (right here I should have used a jinx on them to reduce their armor saves...) Anyway I hit him with all my attacks and inflict something like 22-23 wounds on him. Pierre of course only fails 3 of them and is left with 2 marines and his rune priest. Here is a picture of how the table looked at the end of that turn.

Turn 3:

Pierre is looking mighty pleased with himself after having passed all those armor saves but I still have hope I can finish off the squad. He moves around and his shooting is largely in effective (both of us did little damage with shooting this game...) I think he wounded the riptide again and then his wolf lord and 2 of the 3 lone wolves charge into the combat. I throw nearly all my attacks at the rune priest and his 2 friends hoping to finish them so I can cast powers again next turn, I manage to kill them thanks to Eldrad and his AP3 weapon. Pierre kills a warlock or 2 and wounds my commander 3 times in combat. I then hit and run away toward those razorbacks you can see in the left.


 

 

My turn I use scriers gaze to keep all my jet bikes out for another turn and I bring all my kroot in on the left to attempt to shoot those long fangs out of the ruins (that plan doesn't work too well). My council moves right up to the razorbacks (in hindsight I should have just charged them) but I shoot one and target lock the commanders fusion guns to the other. I kill one and remove the gun and strip 2 hull points off of the other. My riptide kills himself by charging the squad in the back right corner and failing an armor save (he was a chump anyway).
 
Turn 4:
 
Pierre brings his wolf lord and one lone wolf up and charges into my council (I skipped the shooting phase as little of interest happened, some kroot died). I lose both my drones to his attacks and inflict 1 wound on the lone wolf from over watch. I again hit and run away...
 
My turn I turn around and jinx both the wolf lord and the lone wolf (making them have 3+ armor!) Then I proceed to shoot the wolf lord wounding him twice and using my commander I target lock on and fail to kill the lone wolf! I then charge and finish off the wolf lord leaving me sitting quite happy in the middle of the table surrounded by some large corpses. Oh also all of my wind rider squads came on and hung out in my back field and attempted to not get shot.
 
Turn 5:

Pierre gets very thoughtful and carefully moves his models into position. He puts his marines all over the objective in the back left, and is still holding the back right objective. He attempts to keep me off the objective in my left field but his razorback is not large enough. Again more less than effective shooting.

My turn I jinx the marine squad and the long fang squad on the back left objective and go charging over there with my seer council. I position my wind riders to hold my back left and get a kroot squad over next to his left objective in hopes that I will kill all the marines on it and claim it as my own. My council charges in and wipes out the grey hunters and long fangs to the last man. I am now holding two objectives to his one.

At this point I have 2 objectives to his 1, 3 quarters to his 1 and a 10 kill points to his 4. Huzzah was getting ready to close and Pierre chose to surrender, if we had played a turn 6 there was a solid chance he would have pushed the game down to my winning on the secondary objective but I don't think there was much of a way for him to pull out a win. On a turn 7 most likely I would have managed to reclaim the primary win, IF he managed to tie that up for turn 6.

Anyway it was a great game with a great player who I hope to meet again on the field of battle.

-Tsarith

one last picture..his lone wolf was hiding from my fire prism!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment