Wednesday, June 26, 2013

IFL Road to the NOVA Open Game's 2, 3 and an RTT?!

Hello guys!

So I got another league game in and it was a fun one.

I played against a Necron player named Leigh. He was running an AV13 wall with some 5th edition elements.

His list:

2 war scythe lords on barges
2 squads of warriors in Ghost Ark w/ 2 destruction crypteks
2 squads of immortals in night scythes w/ 2x storm crypteks (haywire)
2 annihilation barges
monolith

I was playing my seer council league list and we had mission 5 from the NOVA packet (emperors will which is mission points, 2 from holding more corner objectives than your opponent or 4 for holding all of them, 1 mission point for the center objective, 1 for slay the warlord, and 1 for line breaker). This is a difficult mission under the league rules as you need to win by 5 full mission points to score full points on the game. We rolled up and had no night fight and some crappy warlord traits for each of us. I did mediocre on psychic powers. I got fortune on the 6th roll and ended up with a prescience, guide, and 1 doom. My warlocks did pretty well I got 4 protects (yay!!) and 1-2 of each of the other powers (I traded all of the empowers out for conceals). I won the roll and made him go first. I deployed VERY far back (it was a hammer and anvil game) so that he was out of range for nearly all of his guns.

His turn 1:
He moved up toward the middle staying very close together with most of his vehicles and shot me with the crypteks out of the barges. I believe he wounded my riptide right off.

My turn 1:
I cast all my powers (some warlocks failed but no perils) and I used my destructor/renew to heal the riptide. I moved forward with everything and shot him back doing pretty little damage but trying to set myself up for a turn 2 charge into the lovely bunch of vehicles he has.

His turn 2:
He moves up and shoots the hell out of me but due to my protect/fortune/conceal combo he does almost no damage to the council and I think again wounds the riptide once. He might also have blown up a fire prism here, or that might have been on turn 3. Anyway, he charges my council with one of his command barge lords and I promptly use my witch blades to rip apart the barge and then hit and run out of the combat with the overlord.

My turn 2:
Basically my shooting does little damage (the commander and his fusion guns kill an annihilation barge I believe), then I did a cool little multi-charge and manage to kill the overlord, an annihilation barge, and a ghost ark. Also my riptide charges his other command barge lord, epically passes his mind shackle test and kills the barge stranding the overlord out in the open. Oh also my sky ray shot down one of the night scythes and the other one ended up flying off the table but was still alive at the end of the game I believe.

His turn 3:
His monolith deep strikes and doesn't end up doing too much. His second overlord runs over and tries to kill my jet bike squad but only kills 2, the last one runs away and just barely stays on the board.

My turn 3:
Most of my reserves come in now and hid all over the place. My jet bike that the overlord failed to kill regroups and I manage to hurt the overlord and he goes to ground. My seer council kills the warriors that got out of the ghost ark that I blew up last turn and kill the monolith. My riptide is just kind of standing around doing little, but looking cool...

His turn 4:
It's looking bad, but Leigh was a good sport and kept on trying till the end. He ran toward objectives and continued to shoot all his remaining weapons hoping to pull some bodies off the council. He did manage to blow up my second fire prism (they really did nothing but die in this game)

My turn 4:
I killed the last ghost ark and ended up just kind of chilling in the middle of the table ready to move toward his remaining overlord and warriors in my deployment zone. I wanted to make sure that I was over there so I could kill those guys and keep him from getting line breaker.

His turn 5:
His overlord and warriors end up in combat with my riptide (I cant remember exactly when the combat started but it was going on during turn 5). Anyway he moves his guys toward objectives but cant quite make it to any (He needs a turn 6 to try to get some objectives)

My turn 5:
My troops move onto 2 corner objectives and that single jet bike from before jumps onto the middle objective. My seer council charges into the overlord and kills him but doesn't base the warriors so I can't kill any. I win combat but he doesn't run away. So if the game ends right now, I would win but not a full victory. I had line breaker, slay the warlord, center objective, and more corner objectives. The points were 5-1 (he still had line breaker!). But we rolled and the game continued.

His turn 6:
He's just moving to move at this point, he gets onto one objective and the night scythe kills my solo bike on the center. During the assault phase I finish off the warriors then my council uses its move to migrate toward his remaining infantry.

My turn 6:
I cast my powers and two of my warlocks die to perils haha! Fortunately at this point it doesn't really matter, but it was very funny. Anyway I move over and kill a few more necron's but the important bit is that I pushed him out of my deployment zone. We roll, the game ends and it is an Eldar victory with a score of 5-0 for the mission points.

Post game:
It was fun and I was worried going into the game. Fortunately for me, Leigh had not played against an army like mine before so I did not know that the key to victory is spread far and thin. He made the mistake of bunching up tight early on which allowed me to get that turn 2 multi-charge off which ultimately allowed me to gut about half of his army in one swoop. I look forward to a rematch in the future.

Also I skipped the battle report for my game 2 because it was a very short game, but incase any readers are curious I'll give a brief run down of that game. I rolled well on psychic powers that game and my opponent did not have a list really capable of dealing with the threat that I produce. We played the NOVA kill point mission and he was running a strange list.
He had:
2 large bike squads led by bike Khan and a biker librarian, 3 shooty dreadnoughts, 3 thunder fire cannons, and some scouts.

I killed Khan, the Libby, and all the bikes on turn 1. That left me in a great position to be able to charge his dreadnoughts and thunder fires on turn 2. We looked at the table and he surrendered. Given how short the game was I don't see the point in giving it much more attention or its own post.

Lastly...I will be attending an RTT in Vienna, VA this weekend. If you want to attend the info is below:

Saturday, June 29
This RTT has room for 16-30 spots
$30 registration fee covers food, beverage, and support for a good cause

1850 Points, no FW, painting is not required, but is rewarded, and is required for Best Overall
This will also be the first look anyone gets at Torrent of Fire
http://www.torrentoffire.com/

Sign up and pay registration by going to:
http://novaopenfoundation.org/?tcp_product_category=donation
Select the fourth bullet, "Name of Charity: NOVA Charitable Foundation"
Increase quantity to 3 (So, $30)
Donate!

-Tsarith

No comments:

Post a Comment